Project Coordinator Position
Project Coordinator - Salary Range I, $41,120 - $61,680
We are seeking a full-time Project Coordinator to work on a two-year project funded by the Barra Foundation Catalyst Grant to support the organizational development and operations of the Promise Zone Research Connection (PZRC). The West Philadelphia Promise Zone (WPPZ) is an area of roughly two square miles, including parts of 10 neighborhoods with historically vibrant, predominantly African American communities. While the Promise Zone was designed to stimulate investment and collaboration, it generated (perhaps an unintended consequence) a large body of research by neighboring academic institutions (and others in the city) focusing on inequities, systemic racism, disinvestment and disenfranchisement. However, many residents perceive that these researchers merely want to study these phenomena for their own benefit, rather than stimulate change or action. This has resulted in frustration with the lack of community voice in the research process and mistrust that the community will receive any tangible benefits from participating in these studies. In 2016, a group of residents formed the Promise Zone Research Connection (PZRC) to address the power imbalances in researcher and resident partnerships for place-based research. The PZRC is made up of Promise Zone residents, community stakeholders, and researchers with a shared commitment to increase dialogue, transparency and equity in research conducted in the WPPZ. Given the group’s mission of addressing research mistrust, the PRZC created its Community Research Review Board (CRRB) subcommittee in April 2022 who focus on the evaluation of studies proposed to occur in the community. This project will be based at Drexel University; Drexel University and the City of Philadelphia have supported the PZRC and its CRRB since their inception, with in-kind support including meeting space, research training, operational guidance, and temporary administrative assistance. However, ultimately, the PZRC aims to operate independently of Drexel University and the City of Philadelphia, as an established non-profit community-driven entity in West Philadelphia. Given this goal, this grant would fund a two-year incubation period where the PZRC/CRRB can build on its newly achieved 501(c)(3) status, granted in April 2023. Activities of the PZRC /CRBB will include:
- Compensating community members for their time and participation.
- Working with organizational-development consultants from the Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations (PANO) to advise on board member recruitment and training, advisory board development, financial/legal education, and fundraising infrastructure and opportunities.
- Planning and hosting a West Philly Research Day in year 2 to bring West Philadelphia research institutions together with community leaders to network, build trust, and collaborate.
- Forming a peer-to-peer network with other established CRRBs around the country, to gain CRRB-specific consultation.
Grant management duties 15%
- Meet regularly with Principal Investigators and team
- Create and implement project work plan
- Lead quarterly grant reporting to funder
Supervisory duties 25%
- Coordinate all day-to-day logistics related to community-focused and social media outreach tied to PZRC and CRRB activities.
- Supervise and manage weekly schedule for up 2-3 community resident outreach staff.
- Oversee daily check in and check out process for outreach staff entering and returning from activities – canvassing, tabling, workshops, meetings, etc.
- Act as point of contact for staff conducting outreach in the community.
Administrative duties 60%
- Schedule and attend monthly PZRC and CRRB meetings including the coordinating logistics required for in-person and virtual meetings.
- Record minutes and action items and distribute that information to PZRC/CRRB members and institutional partners.
- Provide monthly summaries of outreach-focused work to organizational development consultants
- Serve as the liaison between the PZRC/CRRB and local research institutions/researchers, including disseminating relevant information, fielding inquiries for presentations, and coordinating CRRB sessions with researchers.
- Maintain up-to-date directory of all PZRC and CRRB board members, partners, neighboring civic association leaders, etc.
- Purchase supplies, complete transaction allocation reporting, and maintain records of travel arrangements and reimbursements, and SmartSource purchases
- Coordinate event logistics and materials for West Philly Research Day, including invitations/flyers, space reservations, seating arrangements and set up, agendas, AV equipment, parking, decorations, sign in, catering, presentations, certificates, as well as event break down.
- Experience conducting or coordinating outreach in an urban environment
- Interest in or familiarity with community-engaged research
- Comfortable using Outlook, Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office programs
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Well organized and excellent attention to detail
- Able to use good judgement.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are familiar with Mantua, Powelton Village, West Powelton/ Saunders Park, Mill Creek, East Parkside, and Belmont neighborhoods.
Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or related field 2 Years experience